ADSM-L

Re: Feedback - how are you using email archiving?

2005-02-17 13:32:34
Subject: Re: Feedback - how are you using email archiving?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:32:21 -0500
We don't have the requirement for email archiving, so I can't address
that question.

I would first ask, what do you mean by "when there is a problem with the
tape??!?"
I assume when you say "restore of the tape", you mean recreating the
tape using RESTORE VOLUME from your offsite/DR tape?

I would be shocked to find out you have had "problems" with an LTO2
volume that caused you to do a RESTORE VOLUME more than once in a year,
and my response would be to address THAT issue.

In the meantime, a quick and dirty solution is to have TWO tape copy
pools.  Keep one onsite, as well as the one you keep offsite.
(If you don't have room in your library, put the 2nd copy pool tapes on
a shelf outside the library as they fill up.)

That way, if you can't read your onsite tape, mark it DESTROYED, and
restores will take place from the onsite copy pool tapes.
After you have met your SLA that way, you can let the RESTORE VOLUME
take as long as it needs, won't affect your SLA's.

(BUT, fix those tape issues ASAP.)

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)