ADSM-L

AIX Restore

2005-02-14 13:27:44
Subject: AIX Restore
From: "Wheelock, Michael D" <Michael.Wheelock AT INTEGRIS-HEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:27:30 -0600
Hi,

I have a restore that we do occasionally to create a test environment
for one of our applications.  The storage pool for this restore is a
tape based storage pool with collocation set to no.  Consequently, there
are lots of tape mounts done to effect this restore.  To alleviate this
at least in part, we have set the resourceutilization parameter on the
client and the maximum mount points allowed to 6.  This should
theoretically allow the client to open six sessions and go about its
business.

In reality, it is about 50/50.  Half of the time it will open multiple
streams, half the time it will not.  There are always free tape drives
on the TSM server.  There are always two filesystems being restored over
multiple (>10) tapes.  Here are the various version info:

TSM Server:

AIX 5.2 ML4

TSM 5.3.0.0 (though the same was seen on 5.2.3.4)

Client:

AIX 5.2 ML4

TSM Client 5.2

When we opened a support call, the only answer provided was that in the
cases where we saw multiple streams, the data must have been flowing
from a disk storage pool.  I accept that, but I believe that I would
never see these process (sessions) go into mediaw status (fyi, we
currently only have disk class disk storage pools ahead of these tape
ones...no file class storage pools).  TSM should know where the data is
(ie. On multiple tapes) and allow the client to open the multiple
streams to increase the throughput.

Any ideas why I am seeing what I am seeing?

Michael Wheelock

Integris Health

protection under state and federal law. This information is intended to be for
the use of the individual named above. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of
this information is prohibited and may be punishable by law. If you have
received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us immediately by
electronic mail (reply).