ADSM-L

Re: Question from a non-TSM person

2005-02-11 05:35:42
Subject: Re: Question from a non-TSM person
From: Jim Armstrong <jim_armstrong AT STANDARDLIFE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:34:51 +0000
Fred,
      You could have a problem if your database and recovery logs are on
more than one physical disk, because when you break the disk mirrors you
could not guarantee that the data on all the mirrored disks was consistent.
However, if you halt the TSM server and wait until it comes down then you
know there is no more IO happening, Then if you break the mirrors, all the
files should be consistent. That would be a much faster operation than a
restore from backup.
However as Eric said, this would not be supported.

If you are physically moving the mirror volumes to a new server, does that
mean you are leaving the old ones behind? Could you end up with two TSM
servers with the same name and IP address on your Network? That would be a
challenge.

Jim Armstrong
Storage Architect
Standard Life

(0044) 131 245 3062

                              fred johanson
                              <fred@UCHICAGO.      To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                              EDU>                 cc:
                              Sent by:             bcc:
                              "ADSM: Dist          Subject:    Question from a
non-TSM person
                              Stor Manager"
                              <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI
                              ST.EDU>

                              10/02/2005
                              22:23
                              Please respond
                              to "ADSM: Dist
                              Stor Manager"

I was asked if it was possible to move TSM from machine to machine by
mirroring the DB and log, breaking the mirror, moving the mirrored portions
to a new machine, adding the old mirror volumes to dsmserv.dsk, and
bringing up the new machine as if nothing happened?

Fred Johanson
ITSM Administrator
University of Chicago
773-702-8464

For more information on Standard Life, visit our website
http://www.standardlife.co.uk/

The Standard Life Assurance Company, Standard Life House, 30 Lothian Road,
Edinburgh EH1 2DH, is registered in Scotland (No. SZ4) and is authorised
and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Tel: 0131 225 2552 -
calls may be recorded or monitored. This confidential e-mail is for the
addressee only. If received in error, do not retain/copy/disclose it
without our consent and please return it to us. We virus scan and monitor
all e-mails but are not responsible for any damage caused by a virus or
alteration by a third party after it is sent.