ADSM-L

NDMP backups

2005-02-09 16:16:25
Subject: NDMP backups
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 16:15:49 -0500
Hello All!

I am very conflicted about how to use NDMP backups for my environment.
Here is our config:

TSM AIX 5.2.2.5 server
EMC NS704G with 3 datamovers and 1 failover
Windows 2003 TSM Client at 5.3.0

I was wondering if we will have to mount the filesystems on a Windows
server and just back the filesystems up as a regular server through TSM
instead of using NDMP backups?

We had wanted to use NDMP backups for offsite/DR recovery and use the 7
days of the EMC snaps for onsite recovery, but we realized that if a
customer wants an individual file restored back more than 7 days ago we
would have to revert to the NDMP backups, which we plan to send offsite for
DR purposes.  Now, this isn't within a copy pool, but within a sequential
tape pool that I would just have to query the tapes - update them to
offsite - then send them to our vaulting service center.

My next issue is due to the fact that you cannot make a copy of the NDMP
backup we would be forced to bring that tape back onsite for the restore of
the file.  We are then faced with the situation of knowing which tape is
needed to be requested from our vaulting service to restore the file to our
gateway filesystem?  We were using the toc and the Windows client gui to
due individual file level restore and cannot see how we would view what
tape is required?

Thank you very much for any help/guidance you have with this issue!  The
idea of NDMP backups is very new and confusing and I am not quite sure that
this is what our environment wants/needs.

Thanks again!

Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems