ADSM-L

Re: Very very strange behaviour

2005-02-06 11:09:56
Subject: Re: Very very strange behaviour
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 11:09:29 -0500
>I didn't mention P.I.T or Inactive because I run a regular restore
>(active display)
>What is strange is a see everything running thru the commend line
>(dsmc.exe) and nothing thru the gui (dsm.exe) again with no option at
>all !!!!!!

As the Web page which Andy URLed talks of, the GUI operates in a
stepwise manner, as you progressively click on directories to go
deeper into the tree structure.  By virtue of operating one one
path element at a time, the GUI is (trying) to ask the server for
each piece as it goes.  If a piece is missing, it cannot go further.

The command line is operating by paths.  You can appreciate this
if you've done any Select operations on the BACKUPS table, where
you will see files cataloged by filespace name, HLname, and LLname,
where the HLname is everything (all intervening directories) between
the filespace name and the file name.

The GUI is a convenience thing: it helps the less experienced get
through operations via "pictures".  Most of us use the CLI, and
enjoy its power and speed.  Consider using the handy -pick option
of the CLI as an alternative to the GUI: it's a nice middle ground.

   Richard Sims