ADSM-L

TSM 5.3 Client Windows; Memory Questions

2005-02-01 08:20:48
Subject: TSM 5.3 Client Windows; Memory Questions
From: Egon Blouder <egonle AT NETSCAPE DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:04:54 -0500
Hi,

i've setup TSM Client 5.3 on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server box. In order to do
some test's I've create more than 10,000,000 files of size 2MB. The server has
2GB RAM.
Due to the amount of objects any scheduled backup stop with error:
ANS1030E The operating system refused a TSM request for memory allocation.

Tracing memory usage shows up that the dsmsvc process uses about 2GB VM which
seems to be the/ is the limit of Windows 2000 32bit OS for one process.
When I set memoryefficient backup to yes the dsmsvc process uses about 20MB
memory. Backup completes ok but that doesn't make any sense to me.

Why isn't there some kind of medium setting or any configuration option how
much memory dsmsvc process might allocate (e.g. 1GB). Wouldn't that be much
more efficient? Why isn't dsmsvc switching to some kind of memoryefficient mode
when the process cannot allocate any memory?
Why doesn't dsmsvc create multiple dsmsvc processes (on different domains)?
Would it make sense to set memoryefficient to yes and to configure
resourceutilization=10?

Regards,

..--

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.