ADSM-L

TDP for Lotus Domino Backups

2005-02-01 05:19:25
Subject: TDP for Lotus Domino Backups
From: Brian Newlyn <Brian.Newlyn AT PANASONIC.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:03:57 +0000
Hi

Looking for ideas on how best to structure a new environment to
backup/archive Lotus Domino R6 servers.

Trying to learn from mistakes in our old environment when we used the old
ADSM agent and older versions of TSM and over zealous polices.

Having read most of the available Redbooks, Technotes and whatever other
literature I can find I have got a good idea of what is required but there
maybe better ideas that can be implemented.

The new environment will be TSM for Windows 5.3 [or whatever is the latest
version] running on Windows 2003, Lotus R6 running on a mixture of Windows
2003 and 2000 servers.

What I know so far:

Set-up four schedules: hourly backup of the transaction logs, daily
incremental backup, weekly selective backup, then finish off with an
inactive logs

Following the advice of the literature we would implement archive
transactional logging and end up with a perfect solution where we could
perform point in time restores of a mail database.

My main question is regarding the new e-mail compliance rules and how much
data is required to be backed up over time. Over time the common theme I
have seen in our old environment is eventually over x number of years your
TSM server becomes totally unmanagable and grows to an abnormal size.

>From experience can anyone suggest some answers to the following questions:

1. What would be sensible values for the policies: verexists, verdelete,
retainextra and so on ?

2. Do we need the four schedules or do we simply cut this down and embed
other commands within the other schedules like getting inactivate to fire
once the
    selective backup has run ?

3. I noticed a couple of ideas on a forum where it was suggested you create
sequential node names ie. mail01 and back a server up against that node
name
    for a year then export all the data to specific tape then delete the
node and file spaces from TSM and put the tape in the fire safe.

    You then create a new node called mail02 then back up the server
against this node for another year and so on.

    The theory being that you purge data out of Tsm each time you delete a
node and keep the TSM database at a sensible size and it should never grow
out of
    control. If you need an ancient restore you bring the data back from
the tape in the fire safe.

     Do this sound feasible ?

4. Regarding the TSM server itself should you perform periodic unloads of
the TSM database to keep everything optimised or is this pointless ?

Any help would be greatly appriciated

Brian Newlyn

Server Support

Panasonic UK Ltd

The information in this message and any attachments transmitted with it are
private and confidential.  The information is intended solely for the
addressee.  If you have received this email due to a transmission error,
please notify the sender immediately.  If you are not the intended
recipient you are prohibited from any disclosure, storing, copying,
distribution or using the information in any way.

Please note that whilst we scan all e-mails for viruses we cannot guarantee
that any e-mail is virus-free.  Please be advised that we expressly reserve
the right to monitor email content for the purposes of ensuring compliance
with legal requirements and company policies and your sending to, or
receiving from, us of any email constitutes your agreement to these terms.

Panasonic UK Limited (Registered No: 1069148 ENGLAND)
Registered office: Panasonic House, Willoughby Road, Bracknell, Berkshire
RG12 8FP UK

www.panasonic.co.uk