ADSM-L

TSM Restore on Win2K machine

2005-01-31 17:34:44
Subject: TSM Restore on Win2K machine
From: "Jones, Eric J" <eric.j.jones AT LMCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:21:33 -0500
I have a question on TSM restore on a Windows 2000(SP3) machine running TSM
5.2.2.
I tried to test to see if I could successfully restore a machine after a backup.
What I did was before backing up I ran NTBackup to backup the SYSTEM OBJECT
then ran a TSM backup on the drives.
I then rebuilt the machine with just win2K(without SP3) and installed TSM.
I restored the 2 data drives, when it asked to reboot I said no, then I ran
NTBackup to restore the SYSTEM OBJECT and rebooted.
The problem is when I rebooted and looked in the event log there were a few
services that did not run and there were messages during the restore that some
of the files were protected.  Also at the end of the restore it said to install
Windows SP3 because there were unknown files and it may not run correctly.  I
did not install the CD(SP3) thinking the TSM restore would restore these files.
Is there a step I'm doing wrong or missing?
The TSM server is AIX 5.2 with TSM 5.2.2

Have a Great Day,
Eric Jones
> *  eric.j.jones AT lmco DOT com
> *:   607-751-4133