ADSM-L

Re: Windows 2003 Standard Server with TSM client V5.2.3

2005-01-27 12:21:31
Subject: Re: Windows 2003 Standard Server with TSM client V5.2.3
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:21:16 -0800
Andy, the V5.3 manual does make a statement that OFS will be supported for
Windows 2003 in a patch.  Now, I saw the (yet) and I figure you don't want to
go out on a limb and say when it will be available but...  I have a number of
customers asking for it.  Can you give us an idea of when an anoucement might
be that would set a date.  I'm hoping it isn't one of those things where we
will just find out when the patch comes out.  Reason being if we knew it was
going to be out in say two patches we might wait instead of starting testing on
the base V5.3 code now.

Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM> wrote:You are correct: OFS is not
(yet) supported on Windows 2003.

Some clarification on other details you mentioned:

- OFS (Open File Support) is not the same as LVSA (Logical Volume Snapshot
Agent). The LVSA is the underlying mechanism for implementing both OFS and
online image backup.

- "Open File Support" is actually a bit of a misnomer. TSM does not, nor
has it ever, had problems backing up open files, per se. The real problem
has been in backing up locked files; that is, files that are locked by the
application that uses them, so that TSM (or other applications) cannot
read the files. For example, you can open a .doc file in Microsoft Word,
and TSM can back up that file just fine -- even though it is open by Word.
This is because Word does not lock the file to prevent read access by
other applications. On the other hand, a Microsoft Outlook/Exchange *.pst
file cannot be backed up by TSM when the Microsoft software is running
since that software locks the file from any kind of access by other
applications. What OFS provides is not only a mechanism for backing up
locked files, but also a "crash-consistent" file-level backup of the disk,
even as you continue to access and modify those files.

> I've also read the TSM Client version 5.2.3
> does backup opened files without the OFS
> feature.

Only in the context I've described above, which is applicable to any TSM
version: you can back up open files; but *locked* file backup still
requires OFS.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" wrote on 2005-01-26
17:05:51: