ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.3 Administration Center

2005-01-27 12:16:46
Subject: Re: TSM 5.3 Administration Center
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:16:19 -0800
It is  not my intent to add fuel to the fire but many points have been made
around small customers.  Well, I have a number of large customers some with as
many as 38 TSM servers.  An issue for them is the lack of being able to
intergrate V5.2 servers into the ISC/Admin Center.  It takes nearly 2 months
form start to finish to get all servers upgraded. So they will be forced to
utilize both interfaces at the same time.  For this reason it would have been
nice to have kept the old web admin around.  Again as everyone has stated, they
could have trasitioned to it just like when the old Admin GUI was dropped
instead of having to make such a forced move.

Richard van Denzel <RvanDenzel AT SLTN DOT NL> wrote:
Hi Kathy,

As founder of one of the discussions about the ISC/AC, let me reflect on
your response as well:

That the old interface did not change for 8 years is IMHO no reason to
ditch it. You state that compared to competitors the "old" webadmin was
outdated. When I compare it to for instance Veritas NetBackup, it was not
outdated at all.
It rathers comes to me as progress for the sake of progress. Most times
this is no progress at all.

It's probably nice to have the ability to manage a lot of products from the
ISC, but most of my customers are medium to small sites and the only
product they want to manage is TSM. For them it will look like shooting a
fly with an elephant gun. They'll probably will stick with TSM 5.2 and the
webadmin.

I'm not particuraly stuck on a certain interface, but a migration period
(have webadmin and ISC available) would have been normal. Now I'm stuck on
figuring out a new interface which is IMHO not intuitive at all. Besides
that it lacks the ability to manage TSM 5.2 servers, so I now have the need
to have two interfaces active for what is one product (only different minor
versions).

Now on to the numbered issues:

1) Thank God dsmadmc is still available. Now just remember the correct
syntax (for which we had a web interface).
2) A seperate machine indeed is not required, but very advisable, because
TSM and Java (ISC) are both memory agressive applications.
You can run them on one machine, but it better be a big one, I would
recommend 4+ CPU's and 8GB memory minimum.
3) Ok. The screens are not very readable then, but who cares :-(
4) The old webinterface was also accesible from any OS, as long as you had
a decent browser.
5) Just one tip, lose Java.
6) It is still in the code, only the server.idle file is missing (as Rainer
Tammer already pointed out). So it would not be much of a job to get it
working in say
TSM 5.3.0.1?

Concluding, the TSM 5.3 server is running smoothly on my Linux FC3 (yes, it
will run on that) and ISC is running on AIX (5.2 on an 4CPU H50, on which
I'm now
stuck with a way too large /tmp). I also have to work through a IMHO not so
intuitive interface (do forget to click on Go each time).
IMHO TSM Server is not a problem for most people, because it does not
require more resources than TSM 5.2. Most of the problem is with the ISC/AC
whitch is aimed at large companies (probably those guys did the
recommendations) and not so much for small to medium companies who only
want to manage TSM.

I'll be having a hell of time convincing my customers to invest in a very
much heavier server, just to be running a new (minor) version of TSM.

I think IBM did theiselves not a favor by ditching the old webadmin and I
think they better rethink the interface they've now designed.

Regards,

Richard van Denzel
TSM Certified Consultant.

Kathy Mitton
OM> cc:
Sent by: "ADSM: Subject: TSM 5.3 Administration Center
Dist Stor
Manager"
.EDU>

27-01-2005 00:49
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor
Manager"

We?ve noticed the recent discussion and concern in this forum surrounding
the new TSM 5.3 Administration Center. We are listening to you, and we
would like to respond to several of the points raised.

First, we would like to explain why we made these changes. The old
interface had not been changed in over 8 years and had fallen behind the
times. One of the top customer requirements was for an easy to use,
intuitive interface. A number of existing customers as well as customers
using competitive products were involved throughout the development
process. They not only participated in defining what they were looking
for but also participated in early design reviews.

As a result of that work, the Administration Center was created. Wizards
help guide you through common configuration tasks, and properties
notebooks allow you to modify settings and perform advanced management
tasks. The interface was integrated into the Integrated Solutions Console
because one key customer requirement is a ?single pane of glass? view of
all of the servers in their environment. Since IBM plans on integrating a
large variety of our software products into the Integrated Solutions
Console, it made sense for Tivoli Storage Manger to be there, too. The IBM
direction is to have a common look and feel across a large product set,
and the Integrated Solutions Console is driving that common look and feel
across multiple products.

We understand that it is hard to give up an interface you know well and
switch to a new one. To help you with this transition, we developed
several Flash tutorials which are available from within the Administration
Center. These tutorials show you how to maneuver within the Administration
Center. Click the ?Getting Started? link on the main screen to launch
these Flash tutorials. We will continue to monitor your feedback on this
forum and we are tracking your suggestions, criticisms (and hopefully
occasionally your kudos).

There are also some additional points you?ve raised that we would like to
address here:
1. The command line interface (dsmadmc) is still available in TSM 5.3. We
have no plans to remove dsmadmc from future releases. We recognize that a
great many of our customers use automated scripts with dsmadmc.
2. A separate machine is NOT required for the ISC/Administration Center
installation. It can run on the same hardware as your TSM Server, provided
you meet the minimum system requirements, as described in the version
release page referenced below. In addition, there is a performance
Technote available by searching for 1193443 at http://www.ibm.com.
3. The Readme.install file contains instructions for installing the
ISC/Admin Center in console mode, which facilitates remote installs.
4. Since the Administration Center is accessed via a browser, it is
accessible from
any operating system, including XP. Relative to installing the
Administration Center itself on XP, since XP tends to be a workstation OS
rather than a server OS, we aren't currently recommending XP for the
actual Administration Center. (Note that we don't support/recommend the
TSM server on XP either and our thought process was that ultimately the
Administration Center would be supported on all of the same platforms as
the TSM server. Since you interface via a browser, you ultimately have
access from any OS).
5. We?ve heard your concern and complaint about the footprint of the
Administration Center. We don?t have a quick fix for this but are
continuing to look at ways to reduce this.
6. We have heard your requests to bring back the old interface. Since
that interface was not uplifted with the new TSM 5.3 function and our
intent is to only enhance the new interface, we decided not to release
it. Instead we are focusing on continued enhancements to the new
interface at as rapid a rate as is possible.

We have several online resources to assist our customers. We have written
some ?Technotes? which outline the steps for a variety of common TSM
tasks. These documents can be found by referencing Technotes 1193101 and
1193326 at http://www.ibm.com, or by pointing your web browser to the
following URLs:
http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&q1=1193101&uid=swg21193101&loc=en_US&cs=iso-8859-1&cc=us&lang=en

http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&q1=1193326&uid=swg21193326&loc=en_US&cs=iso-8859-1&cc=us&lang=en

In addition, the version release page has links to all of the above, and
more information. The version release page is at at:

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManagerVersionRelease.html

Lastly, using the keyword TSMADMINCENTER in the search field on the
support web site will provide you the latest information about the
Administration Center.

The entire TSM development team would like to thank you for your patience
in reading this and hope it will give you some insight into why we made
some of these decisions. We think TSM 5.3 is a great product that contains
many enhancements in addition to an exciting new interface. We encourage
you to learn more about TSM 5.3 by reading the version release page listed
above.

Sincerely,
Kathryn Mitton
TSM 5.3 Server Development Release Manager
Tivoli Software,