ADSM-L

Re: How to get a tape drive to stream?

2005-01-26 11:29:10
Subject: Re: How to get a tape drive to stream?
From: P Baines <paul.baines AT ECB DOT INT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:28:49 +0100
Have a look at your dsmaccnt.log, in particular the MediaWait and
CommWait columns. If you see large figures in both then this suggests to
me that the network connection is not feeding the TSM server fast enough
to support streaming. You must either increase your network throughput
or backup to disk and migrate to tape. Some drives do compression, so
native streaming rate might not be equal to real world streaming rate (I
see between 15 MB/sec and 48 MB/sec for a 3590 fibre attached drive.)
You might try compressing on the client first?

Good luck,
Paul.