ADSM-L

Re: Exchange Incremental Backup

2005-01-25 14:42:04
Subject: Re: Exchange Incremental Backup
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:41:36 -0600
Thanks, Del:

I'm just looking into this now ...

The guide states:

"When setting the value of the Retain Only Version parameter for
incremental
backups, the value must be (at a minimum) as long as the value set for
the full backup objects to which the incremental backups are associated.
You can use the same management class for incremental backups and the
full backup objects (that are retained the longest) to be sure an
adequate value is used."

Now it states "must be as long as the value set for the full backup".
Must it really?

Because that is not what I want!

I would want to setup a different management class for incremental
backups that would keep only say 7 versions while this value is set at
35 for my full backups.

I realize that the incrementals would not be able to be restored after
the 7 days while the fulls would be.

This suits what we want, we only want the incremental restore points in
between our full backups for the last couple of days.

Thanks,

Tim Rushforth
City of Winnipeg