ADSM-L

Re: order of admin tasks

2005-01-25 14:21:53
Subject: Re: order of admin tasks
From: Rick Saylor <rsaylor AT AUSTINCC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:21:31 -0600
Joni,

I'm assuming when you say "DRM" you are referring to TSM's Disaster
Recovery Manager. If so, I have a few suggestions:

Make sure you use the "move drmedia" command to eject copy pool tapes and
update their location (courier, vault, etc).

Create an admin schedule that backs up disk pools to copy pools every 2
hours or so. It may seem like overkill but it reduces the chance of losing
data in the event of a disk pool crash. Saves time in the morning too since
you won't have to wait for the entire disk pool to be copied.

Backup the database after you eject your copy pool tapes. Then eject it and
put it with your copy pool tapes going offsite.

Create your DRM plan after you eject your copy pool tapes. If you don't
your DRM plan will show the tapes still in the library. Make sure you send
the plan offsite also. Consider emailing a copy to your home email address
if you have one.

You shouldn't delete the volume history for you database backups. DRM will
do this for you. Just issue the "SET DRMDBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS" command for the
number of days you want them retained.

Rick Saylor
Austin Community College