ADSM-L

Re: SAN Booting

2005-01-21 09:33:31
Subject: Re: SAN Booting
From: Jin Bae Chi <Jbaechi AT CSCC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:32:38 -0500
SAN booting using virtual engines such as IBM SAN Volume Controller
would not be an easy task, especially if you have ESS, FAStT and
Symmtrix under SVC, because its true mutipathing scheme. You need to
restrict to the only one path for booting time and reenable the
multipath afterward. You may think twice if this would be a possibility
in the future. SAN routing also is coming very soon and that would be
another issue if you want to consolidate all booting resources for
multiple location.

Also, with advanced virtual I/O server on new pSeries, POWER5 with AIX
5.3, your zoning would be another challenge for booting because multiple
LPAR hosts can be sharing the same HBAs and I don't know how SAN switch
would take them with same World Wide names. Just a few more thoughts on
planning. Thanks.

Jin Bae Chi (Gus)
System Administrator
Data Center, CSCC
614-287-5270
614-287-5488 Fax
jbaechi AT cscc DOT edu

>>> RvanDenzel AT SLTN DOT NL 1/21/2005 8:15:52 AM >>>

Hi Mike,

Booting a pSeries from SAN poses no problems. I've booted pSeries from
ESS, FAStT and EMC Symmetrix without problems (all were AIX 5.x
systems).

Richard.

Mike <mikee AT MIKEE.ATH DOT CX>
21-01-2005 13:59