ADSM-L

Re: Why do database restores take so long?

2005-01-21 08:04:45
Subject: Re: Why do database restores take so long?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:02:15 -0500
Some numbers from another site, with hardware specifics.

My experience of late is that a db backup of 5737933 pages takes about
15 minutes, AIX 5.2, p650, 3590E drives, SCSI, with disks on modern
SSA, RAID 1+0 (mirroring and striping), raw logical volumes. Restoral
takes about an hour. I would imagine that the restoral would take
longer if the db volumes were JFS, given sync processing.
In ADSM 3.1 on an R3U AIX 4.1 system, mostly JFS volumes on older SCSI,
same 3590E drives, the backup used to take 1.5 hours.

   Richard Sims