ADSM-L

Deleting AFS backups on TSM when using afsbutc

2005-01-19 11:48:00
Subject: Deleting AFS backups on TSM when using afsbutc
From: "Jones, Eric J" <eric.j.jones AT LMCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:24:15 -0500
Good morning.
This is all kind of new to me.
We use to backup our AFS volumes with afsbuta(had client node called afsbuta)
and the backups ran a full every 12 weeks and incremental in between.  In TSM I
would see a dump ID for each of the backups(in filespace) and when it came time
to delete them I could just go into the node in TSM, click on "File Space
Name", see all the backup(dump ID's) and delete the ones I wanted to delete.
With afsbutc which they started to use for our AFS backups I do not see the
dump ID's for each of the backups, I only see 1 filespace which contains all
the backups done so far.
My question is how does the data get removed from the TSM server when the dump
id is deleted in AFS.
Is there some way to do it in AFS with "deleted dumpid ........" so it deletes
it from AFS and TSM.
I want to make sure we don't just delete the dump id's from AFS.
We are running on AIX 5.2 TSM 5.2.2 and we now running at AFS 3.6 patch 9

Thanks for all the help,
Have a Great Day,
Eric