ADSM-L

Re: dbb & dbsnapshots

2005-01-18 07:03:30
Subject: Re: dbb & dbsnapshots
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:03:04 -0500
Thanks Paul!

One other question:  do you do a DRM Plan?  If so, how do you change it to
include dbsnapshots instead of dbbackups?  Thanks!

********************************
Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems
Work:(717)302-6603
Fax:(717)302-5974
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
********************************

             "Paul Fielding"
             <paul.fielding@SH
             AW.CA>                                                     To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: dbb & dbsnapshots

             01/17/2005 03:32
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

I actually do the opposite - I send snapshots offsite and leave DBBs
onsite - the reason being that you can roll forward recovery logs on a dbb
but not on a dbs - if you lose your db due to non-disaster reasons, it is
quite possible that you may still have the recovery logs and can roll
forward.    In the event of a disaster where you need to restore from
offsite, chances are higher that your entire site was destroyed and you
won't have logs to roll forward.

The only downside to this approach is that you *must* make sure you are
consistent about using type=dbs with all your 'q drmedia' and 'move
drmedia'
commands to ensure that you are handling the correct tapes for offsite
movement...

regards,

Paul