ADSM-L

Re: TSM image backup and restore on a win2k server

2005-01-16 14:55:42
Subject: Re: TSM image backup and restore on a win2k server
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:55:26 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Luc Beaudoin
>I did a IMAGE backup of my WIN2K server, my server have only a
>C: drive My C: drive crash ... how can I restore my IMAGE
>backup on a new Disk
>
>That's what I did ...
>- Put a new disk in my server
>- Install the basic WIN2K OS
>- Install the TSM  Client
>- then try to restore my IMAGE backup
>
>I got the "ANS1287E Volume could not be locked" message
>
>Can someone help me whit that !!!

>From the "IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Windows Backup-Archive Clients
Installation and User's Guide", version 5.2 (you never stated what level
of TSM client or server you were using), page 484:

"Tivoli Storage Manager requires an exclusive lock to destination volume
you are restoring. The client will lock, restore, unlock, unmount, and
mount the volume during a restore operation. During the restore process
the destination volume will not be available to other applications."

Your C drive is doubtless the system disk. You will never be able to
lock that volume so as to successfully restore it, since the C drive
contains all OS-related system files. (It would have been nice if the
TSM client had warned that the volume could never be restored.)

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627