ADSM-L

Re: V5.3 client and Netware 6.0

2005-01-14 15:01:53
Subject: Re: V5.3 client and Netware 6.0
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:00:11 -0500
Thank you for the reply.

However, from the technical aspect, what is different enough between NW
6.0 and NW 6.5 that makes the 5.3 client incompatible ?   I didn't think
there was that much of a difference.  They both use the TSA modules for
the backup process !  They both run NSS !

Are there going to be any further updates to 5.2.x ?

Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
01/14/2005 12:06 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: V5.3 client and Netware 6.0

Hi Flemming, Troy, and Zoltan, and other ADSM-Lers,

Briefly, when planning for TSM 5.3, we had to determine the benefits of
continuing to support NW 6.0 in 5.3 versus the cost of development, test,
and support. With end-of-life for NetWare 6.0 coming relatively soon (less

than a year after TSM 5.3 release), we decided that we could continue to
adequately support NW 6.0 at the TSM 5.2 client level.

Just to be clear: NetWare 6.0 is still supported, but at the TSM 5.2
client level.

I realize that this may not be a satisfactory answer, but I hope you
understand that this is not the forum for detailed discussions about how
and why we choose to support various operating systems and OS versions. If

you have additional questions or concerns, then I recommend you contact
your IBM/Tivoli sales or account representatives.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 01/14/2005
07:34:15:

> Netware 6 is scheduled for End of Life on 11/1/05.  Since it's still
> got almost a year left, I'm a little curious why it's not supported
also.
> http://support.novell.com/lifecycle/forecast.html
>

> Troy Frank
> Network Services
> University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation
> 608.829.5384

> Hi Andy
>
> How come? I mean... after all NetWare 6.0 is still fully supported by
Novell!