ADSM-L

what would you do? Disk config & Raid setup

2005-01-11 19:17:59
Subject: what would you do? Disk config & Raid setup
From: pelson <pelson AT NBNET.NB DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:02:55 -0400
Hello everyone, we are getting ready to add additional disk space for our
TSM disk pool, and were wondering what would you do in this situation?

Current setup

Server:

2x P4 Xeon 1.9Ghz

Windows 2K

2 Gigs Ram

2x Emulex 9002 HBAs

8x 73Gig 10K Setup as Raid 5, partitioned into 2 drives, 20 gigs for OS and
utils, the rest for everything else.

3584 Library with 5x LTO1 & 1x LTO2 using all LTO1 media

TSM 5.2.3

DB is 60 Gigs @ 65% used

Log size is 13 Gigs

Disk pool 375 Gigs

We are currently backing up approx 100 servers, average of 1100 Gigs
nightly, 450Gigs of that is LAN free.

We have ordered a disk array with 14x 146Gig drives (10K), for our server.

Problem(s):

We need more space for disk pool

I would like to get the DB & Logs off the same stripe (drives) for
performance reasons.

Requirements:

            Because we can not afford to lose any data, all data must be
protected either by TSM mirroring, or some sort for Raid.

Outcome:

            Get the best performance for DB and Logs with the maximum space
for the disk pool available

My question: How would you set up the disk arrays?

I was thinking of doing a raid 0+1 on the new drives, moving the database to
the new array and using the left over space for disk pool, then splitting
the current raid 5 to 6 disks and moving the logs to the spare disk and
mirroring it to the last disk, again using any leftover space as a disk
pool. Your thoughts?

TIA

Paul