ADSM-L

Re: What does it backup?

2005-01-05 08:39:15
Subject: Re: What does it backup?
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:38:44 +0000
Rick,
The select below suitably tailored for node_name and backup_date  will
tell you what was in that backup

SELECT HL_NAME,LL_NAME  FROM BACKUPS -
WHERE NODE_NAME='YOURNODE' -
AND BACKUP_DATE BETWEEN '2005-01-04 21:00' AND '2005-01-05 07:00'
John

Rick Harderwijk <RHarderwijk AT factotummedia DOT nl>
Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>
05/01/2005 12:53
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>

ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
cc

Subject
What does it backup?

Hi all,

I was just checking my activity log on my TSM 4.2 server and noticed
something odd. One of the clients (W2K server with Oracle + an imagebank)
did a backup of 2588 files, amounting to almost 9Gb.

I know not that many data modifies in a single day so I checked to be
sure, and indeed: only 707 files (393Mb) were modified. My next guess was
that, for some reason, the Oracle datafiles or backuplogs where backed up
(normal Oracle backup runs through TDP as a seperate job) but when I did a
point-in-time check, no oracle datafiles were found - and there shouldn't
be, as they are excluded from regular backup in dsm.opt.

Can anyone tell me how I can check what files it actually did backup? I
really want to know what that data is...

Kind regards,

Rick Harderwijk
Systems Administrator

The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern
Energy Group.
It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this E-Mail by
any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
Any unauthorised recipient should advise the sender immediately of
the error in transmission. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this email (or
any attachments to it) is not an offer capable of acceptance or acceptance of
an offer and it does not form part of a binding contractual agreement.

Scottish Hydro-Electric, Southern Electric, SWALEC and S+S
are trading names of the Scottish and Southern Energy Group.