ADSM-L

3584 Library Mixed LTO1-LTO2 Environment

2005-01-03 15:56:51
Subject: 3584 Library Mixed LTO1-LTO2 Environment
From: Sung Y Lee <sunglee AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:56:34 -0500
Happy New Year everyone,

It is my understanding that the TSM server version 5.2 allow you to manage
IBM 3584 library without physically partitioning into logical libraries to
use both LTO1 and LTO2 drives.   If the library is physically partitioned
logically into two separate libraries then I can see how  LTO1 and LTO2 can
be configured to only to use the LTO1 tapes into LTO1 drives and LTO2 into
LTO2 drives.. since the TSM server will have two device names like
smc0/smc1 and multi  device classes can be created.

My question is this... if IBM 3584 is not partitioned and configured with
TSM server 5.2, but still wants to use both LTO1 and LTO2 but keep them
separate how can this be done? How does TSM ensure that the LTO2 tapes are
only mounted in LTO2 drives and /or LTO1 tapes are only mounted in LTO1
drives?

Sung Y. Lee