ADSM-L

Re: Tape Scratch list

2004-12-30 08:14:38
Subject: Re: Tape Scratch list
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 07:14:10 -0600
TSM does not monitor scratch tapes.  If you use DRM, it will help handle
recovering offsite tapes that are empty.

I keep a drawer of scratch tapes.  Whenever a tape is 'pending' (I set 3
days for my onsite tape pool, so I can pull and review any tape errors,
and I review tapes coming back from offsite when they are in 'vault
retrieve' status - and review them before they are put back in the
scratch pool when they come in from off site).  If the tapes have no
errors, I go ahead and put them into my 'scratch drawer'.  If they have
write errors, they are discarded, and if they have read errors, I
re-label them before putting them in my 'scratch drawer' and put a small
mark with a paint pen on the tape.  If it comes through with 3 marks or
more on it, it is discarded too.

I hope this helps.