ADSM-L

Re: TSM server on SLES 9

2004-12-24 05:51:58
Subject: Re: TSM server on SLES 9
From: Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:51:19 +0100
On Friday 24 December 2004 10:47, Geert De Pecker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First: best wishes to all.
>
> I was looking on the tivoli support site to check whether or not SLES9 is
> supported. Big was my amazement
> when I got a huge spreadsheet that couldn't be opened in a decent way.
>
> Does anybody know if SuSE SLES 9 can be used to install the TSM server?
You can use allmost any distribution.  Except that you need to run a kernel
from the supported distribution if you want to use the TSM drivers.
I have TSM 5.3 running on my laptop (debian unstable) without a problem.  I
use a custom kernel, I don't use the TSM device drivers.
But I couldn't install the ISC because I was not running a supported
distribution.  I tried to hack the java code because it was checking my
kernel (uname output), but no luck.

So:
- any distribution if you don't use the TSM device driver
- any distribution + supported kernel if you want to use the TSM device driver
(this works, I was able to get TSM using a tape device on debian unstable +
supported SUSE kernel)
- any distribution + supported kernel if you want to use the ISC (not checked)

Stef