ADSM-L

client 'set access' command

2004-12-23 11:02:32
Subject: client 'set access' command
From: "Gretchen L. Thiele" <gretchen AT PRINCETON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:01:48 -0500
With a lot of my clients keeping more than one machine (one at home
and one at work, typically) and wanting to restore between the
two or three, I've been doing a lot of node moves (export/import)
between servers.

To access each other's data with the nodes on the same server
requires the 'set access' command (note that I am not building
admin ids for clients and using the node owner/auth stuff)
issued from the client. I figured this was a lot easier than
having them edit or switch option files (and a lot less risky
as well). Even an admin without any privs can essentially
grind a server to a standstill with the wrong select command.

The problem is that I need to keep track of the 'set access'
commands so that I don't inadvertantly disrupt somebody's setup.
It doesn't seem to be in any of the tables that we have access
to, so I'm running a search for 'set access' in the logs every
day. Any other ideas?

Also, today we formally started to convert our TSM servers to one
that is pretty much all disk, with higher capacity tape used for
copy storage pools and offsite d/r. The truck is unloading as
I type. 100 TB of SATA disk... For better or worse, I'm
blogging the whole thing, glthiele.blogspot.com. Wish me luck!

Gretchen Thiele
Princeton University