ADSM-L

Tape Recovery Questions

2004-12-22 09:31:46
Subject: Tape Recovery Questions
From: "PEEK, CHRISTOPHER" <cpeek AT HCSO.TAMPA.FL DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:31:33 -0500
We had an UPS failure in the data center.  When the UPS failed, it
immediately disconnected power to all devices in the data center.  At
the time of the failure, there were 3 tapes being written to in our 3583
library.  After the UPS was repaired, I brought everything back online.
TSM marked the three tapes as having an I/O error (no shock here) and
wrote the following type message to the log for each tape:

12/17/04 05:07:29     ANR8355E I/O error reading label for volume 223AHV
in dri
                       ve DRIVE2 (/dev/rmt2). (SESSION: 383, PROCESS:
18)
12/17/04 05:08:01     ANR8778W Scratch volume 223AHV changed to Private
Status
                       to prevent re-access. (SESSION: 383, PROCESS: 18)

Now, my question is how to recover from this.  I have tried to identify
what was on the tapes so that I may recover it from other tape pools, or
maybe discard it if not necessary to rebuild it.  However, the tapes are
not assigned to any storage pools so the "query volume" and "query
content" commands are not working.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Please no flames on the UPS.  The UPS situation is not in my realm of
control and I have raised the issue before several times, but the
responsible person knew better so it went nowhere.