ADSM-L

Re: Passwordaccess Generate

2004-12-16 15:48:23
Subject: Re: Passwordaccess Generate
From: Chris Rodgers <rodgers AT PHYSCHEM.OX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:16:10 +0000
Andrew Raibeck wrote:
Chris,

If this function is important to you, I recommend that you work with your
IBM representative or IBM support to draft a formal requirement, to which
you will get a response.

Scheduled backups do not require a TSM-generated password, but they do
require the use of PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE. If you want, you can automate
the backup yourself and use PASSWORDACCESS PROMPT, passing in the password
via a script.

The PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE and automatic password expiration on the
server are not tied together 100%. You can disable automatic password
expiration at the server level, or at the individual node level (see the
SET PASSEXP and UPDATE NODE server commands). Your TSM administrator could
arrange to query all nodes whose passwords haven't been reset within the
past 'x' number of days ('x' is the number of days after which your site
requires you to change your password) and email anyone who needs to change
their password to do so. Thus you can still use PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE to
aid in automation, but the password change is left up to you.

I realize that this is not the ideal solution that you are looking for,
but the best I can offer for now is the above suggestions.

OK, thanks for these - a homebrew script will probably do what I want
most easily. I appreciate your quick responses, too.

Good night (here, at least)

Chris.