ADSM-L

TSM 5.2.3 journal service crashes?

2004-12-16 12:01:48
Subject: TSM 5.2.3 journal service crashes?
From: Joe Howell <JHowell AT SHELTERINSURANCE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:31:54 -0600
I'm having problems with the journal service on one of my clients and need
some idea if the problem is with me or with the service.  This particular
system is a large Windows 2000 file server, with around 175GB of stuff on
one drive.  Because of processing constraints I am restricted to a 5-hour
backup window.  I kick off my backups at around 1700 and if they're not
done by 2200 the session is cancelled so that migration and vault copies
can start.  The journal service is critical to this particular server
because it speeds things up so much.  The problem I'm having is that on
some nights the backup runs long and the session gets cancelled.  At that
point the journal service crashes and then, since the journal gets
invalidated, I get into a vicious cycle of having to do a
non-journal-based incremental backup that can't finish because it takes so
long to scan the filesystem, etc., etc.

1) Is anyone else having problems with a 5.2.3 journal service crashing
when a client session is cancelled?  I don't see much in the archives and
even less in IBM's knowledge base.
2) Does the cancellation of a backup session necessarily invalidate a
journal?  I don't see why it would, but I didn't write the code.
3) Am I living on the edge here?  Should I reasonably expect to be able to
do what I'm trying to do?

Joe Howell
Shelter Insurance Companies
(573)-214-6534
jhowell AT shelterinsurance DOT com

This e-mail is intended only for its addressee and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure.  If
you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
e-mail:
postmaster AT shelterinsurance DOT com, and delete the original message.