ADSM-L

Re: use of preallocated files in disk stgpool using devtype of file

2004-12-13 13:57:39
Subject: Re: use of preallocated files in disk stgpool using devtype of file
From: Steve Bennett <steve_bennett AT ADMIN.STATE.AK DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:55:07 -0900
Robert, You may be correct but the tsm for windows admin ref and command
line "dsmfmt -?" don't show any option for specifying anything except
MB. No -m or -g, just a number which is suppose to be in MB. I tried a
-g and it is not allowed.

Robert Clark wrote:

dsmfmt -m -data filename 2000
is not the same thing as
dsmfmt -g -data filename 2

1000m is not 1g

(At least on AIX. Hopefully this is true on Windows as well.)

[RC]

                "Steve
                Bennett"
                <steve_bennett                                          To
                @ADMIN.STATE.A         ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                K.US>                                                   cc
                Sent by:
                "ADSM: Dist                                        Subject
                Stor Manager"          Re: use of preallocated files in
                <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR         disk stgpool using devtype of file
                IST.EDU>

                12/10/2004
                01:52 PM

                Please respond
                 "ADSM: Dist
                Stor Manager"
                <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR
                   IST.EDU>
                |------------|
                | [ ] Secure |
                |     E-mail |
                |------------|

I did a small scale test today. Below is what I found.

DEFINE DEVCLASS sata01 DEVTYPE=FILE MOUNTLIMIT=10 MAXCAPACITY=2g
SHARED=NO DIRECTORY=l:\adsmdata

DEFINE STGPOOL prod_satapool sata01 ACCESS=READWRITE COLLOCATE=NO
MAXSCRATCH=0 REUSEDELAY=8 MIGDELAY=90 MIGCONTINUE=YES COPYCONTINUE=YES
CRCDATA=NO DATAFORMAT=NATIVE

dsmfmt -data C:\ADSMDATA\SATA0001.DSM 2000
dsmfmt -data C:\ADSMDATA\SATA0002.DSM 2000
dsmfmt -data C:\ADSMDATA\SATA0003.DSM 2000
dsmfmt -data C:\ADSMDATA\SATA0004.DSM 2000
dsmfmt -data C:\ADSMDATA\SATA0005.DSM 2000

DEFINE VOLUME prod_satapool C:\ADSMDATA\SATA0001.DSM ACCESS=READWRITE
wait=yes
DEFINE VOLUME prod_satapool C:\ADSMDATA\SATA0002.DSM ACCESS=READWRITE
wait=yes
DEFINE VOLUME prod_satapool C:\ADSMDATA\SATA0003.DSM ACCESS=READWRITE
wait=yes
DEFINE VOLUME prod_satapool C:\ADSMDATA\SATA0004.DSM ACCESS=READWRITE
wait=yes
DEFINE VOLUME prod_satapool C:\ADSMDATA\SATA0005.DSM ACCESS=READWRITE
wait=yes

After the dsmfmt I had five files in the C:\ADSMDATA folder that were
each 2,048,000 kb. TSM q vol showed five files with 0 space and empty
status.

I issued a move node command. During the move node w2k shows the file
starting small and getting bigger so it does look like TSM deletes and
reallocates the file. After reallocation the size changed to 2,097,152
kb. Once the move node was complete here is what TSM shows via q vol:

C:\ADSMDATA\SATA0001.DSM  PROD_SATAPOOL  SATA01  2,048.0  100.0    Full

C:\ADSMDATA\SATA0002.DSM  PROD_SATAPOOL  SATA01  2,048.0  100.0    Full

C:\ADSMDATA\SATA0003.DSM  PROD_SATAPOOL  SATA01      0.0    0.0   Empty

C:\ADSMDATA\SATA0004.DSM  PROD_SATAPOOL  SATA01  2,048.0   66.1  Filling

C:\ADSMDATA\SATA0005.DSM  PROD_SATAPOOL  SATA01  2,048.0  100.0    Full

Windows shows:

12/10/2004  12:29p       2,147,483,648 SATA0001.DSM
12/10/2004  12:34p       2,147,483,648 SATA0002.DSM
12/10/2004  12:13p       2,097,152,000 SATA0003.DSM
12/10/2004  12:45p       1,420,072,356 SATA0004.DSM
12/10/2004  12:21p       2,147,483,648 SATA0005.DSM

It appears that fragmentation could be an issue.

I went a bit further and set the MAXCAPACITY down to 1g and found that
the files would not grow beyond a 1g size. Then I set it to 3g and found
that the file would expand to 3g before going to the next file. It would
appear that initial dsmfmt really doesn't buy anything.

One other important thing to note is that I defined the devclass to use
l:\adsmdata while the dsmfmt and defines point to c:\adsmdata. Since it
reallocated the files on c rather than l it appears that the full
pathing is maintained as desired. I can cut my 6tb sata into three 2tb
partitions and predefine 100 files of 20gb on each partition and let TSM
do it's thing.

If anyone sees any kind of problem with this methodology either testing
or production please let me know.

Rushforth, Tim wrote:

I did a test of predefining volumes with dsmfmt (TSM 5.2.2.4 on NTSF file
system on Windows 2003).  If the volume is not completely full, the size

of

the file on disk changes from 20GB (say) to the amount of data used.  As
more data is migrated later the volume was appended to.

I wanted to test pre-allocating the volumes with dsmfmt (as opposed to

just

defining them to the storage pool) to try to eliminate file system
fragmentation.  (If you don't pre-allocate the volumes they continually

grow

resulting in a lot of file system fragments).

But the result I saw above made me wonder if it was worthwhile.  IE after

while all of these pre-allocated volumes would end up in fragments.

But I may be missing something here ....  Has anybody else looked into

this?

Thanks,

Tim Rushforth
City of Winnipeg