ADSM-L

Re: use of preallocated files in disk stgpool using devtype of fi le

2004-12-11 05:29:26
Subject: Re: use of preallocated files in disk stgpool using devtype of fi le
From: Salak Juraj <J.Salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:21:48 +0100
Tim wrote: "(If you don't pre-allocate the volumes they continually grow
resulting in a lot of file system fragments)."

Certainly true.

If one could change default fragment size for file expansion,
which seems to be set to only few kBytes on NTFS,
to maybe hundreds of MBytes, this could help much.

I could do it 25 years ago, as file system setting
on 2 of 3 available loadable file-systems on 16-bit PDP-11, which was
machine runningf RSX (multi-user multi-tasking OS requiring almost 1/2 MB RAM)

Is there a way to change this behaviour under current,
newer than  NewTechnology operating systems?

AFAIK,  programmers may change this value on opened NTFS file basis,
maybe is somebody from IBM/Tivoli hearing.
I played with those values on PDP and it did have
huge impact on operational speed.

best regards

Juraj Salak, Austria

I did a test of predefining volumes with dsmfmt (TSM 5.2.2.4 on NTSF file
system on Windows 2003).  If the volume is not completely full, the size of
the file on disk changes from 20GB (say) to the amount of data used.  As
more data is migrated later the volume was appended to.

I wanted to test pre-allocating the volumes with dsmfmt (as opposed to just
defining them to the storage pool) to try to eliminate file system
fragmentation.  (If you don't pre-allocate the volumes they continually grow
resulting in a lot of file system fragments).

But the result I saw above made me wonder if it was worthwhile.  IE after a
while all of these pre-allocated volumes would end up in fragments.

But I may be missing something here ....  Has anybody else looked into this?

Thanks,

Tim Rushforth
City of Winnipeg