ADSM-L

two management classes for the same client

2004-12-10 09:55:01
Subject: two management classes for the same client
From: Alexander Lazarevich <alazarev AT ITG.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:54:44 -0600
TSM 5.1.9.0 on win2K server.

We have a TSM client, RHEL3-AS, which currently backs up to our custom
made "server-management-class". All is fine with that. However, we want to
backup a specific directory on the same client to a different mangement
class. The directory is /var/spool/mail/*. We want completely different
policy set for that directory, so that retention, number of modified
files, are all different than the normal policy set for that client.

After reading the manual a bit, I gather the best way to do this is by:

1) Make a new management class on the TSM server, one that contains the
correct policy set I want. Call the class "mail-spool-class", or
something.

2) On the RHEL3-AS client, modify the include-exclude file in the
following way:

include /var/spool/mail/* mailspoolclass

Therefor, all the files in /var/spool/mail will be associated with a
different policy, whereas all other files will stay with the normal server
policy we already have.

Does this work? This seems to go against what I've always heard, which is
that ONE client cannot backup to two different policy sets.

The other alternative is to create a new /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin
directory on the client, with a totally diffferent dsm.sys file, with a
totally different name for the NODE, and run cron job dsmc incr backups of
/var/spool/mail/* as this *new* NODE. That way the TSM server thinks there
are two different clients, but in reality, it is only one.

Can anyone recommend which way is better? Or is there even a better way to
do what we need?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
   Alex Lazarevich | Systems Administrator | Imaging Technology Group
    Beckman Institute | University of Illinois | www.itg.uiuc.edu