ADSM-L

Re: use of preallocated files in disk stgpool using devtype of file

2004-12-09 21:15:02
Subject: Re: use of preallocated files in disk stgpool using devtype of file
From: Lloyd Dieter <ldieter AT ROCHESTER.RR DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:14:43 -0500
I'm quite certain that it does the former...although I don't have any hard
evidence to support that.  As I understand it, volumes for devclass=file
are treated pretty much like tape volumes.  If there's room at the "end",
and your collocation settings allow it, I think it appends to the volume.

Interesting question...I'll have to experiment & see.

-Lloyd

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:33:54 -0900
Steve Bennett <steve_bennett AT ADMIN.STATE.AK DOT US> wrote thusly:

> We are supplementing our existing ATL with a 6TB SATA. Clients will
> continue to backup directly to the TSM server's local SCSI disk which
> will get migrated to the SATA stgpool which will migrate to the ATL.
>
> Since our W2K TSM server is limited to 2TB file systems we will be
> allocating 3 filesystems for the 6TB of space. Because of the single
> path issue when using dynamically allocated scratch volumes in the SATA
> pool I intend to define the pool with maxscratch of 0 and preallocate
> all the the vols with the dsmfmt command and then define all the vols to
> the SATA pool. So far so good.
>
> In the case of dynamically allocated vols TSM allocates and then
> increments the size of the vol as needed up to the max size specified.
> When no longer needed the vol is then deleted so the space can be
> reused.
>
> When using predefined 20GB vols will TSM append to the end of the vol if
> it is not completely full just as it does for tape vols or does it go to
> the next available volume in scratch status? I suspect and hope the
> answer is the latter but what's the real answer?
>
> TIA
>
> --
>
> Steve Bennett, (907) 465-5783
> State of Alaska, Enterprise Technology Services, Technical Services
> Section

    Lloyd Dieter            -           Senior Technology Consultant
                              Registered Linux User 285528
   Synergy, Inc.   http://www.synergyinc.cc   ldieter AT rochester.rr DOT com
             Main:585-381-4120    Direct:585-758-7371