ADSM-L

Re: Question About Tapes In Lib as Private - But No History / Data On them - Update

2004-12-09 14:50:35
Subject: Re: Question About Tapes In Lib as Private - But No History / Data On them - Update
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 14:47:49 -0500
On Dec 9, 2004, at 1:26 PM, Hart, Charles wrote:

Here's what we found in the actlog... So we have verified no contents,
changed to scratch and reworet the label!  Sweet!

12/06/04   04:44:21      ANR8778W Scratch volume I01623 changed to
Private Status
                          to prevent re-access. (SESSION: 8826,
PROCESS: 634)

In the context of those 8778 messages you should see causal messages,
most likely relating to I/O errors on the tape...which may be a problem
tape, dirty drive head, or the like.  From the ADSM QuickFacts entry
for Private:
    A tape will be forced to Private status when there is an I/O
    failure on a Scratch volume, as *SM sets it to Private to keep
    from thrashing on the scratch mount.  Look in the Activity Log
       for the message "8778W Scratch vol ... changed to Private Status
    to prevent re-access".

 Richard Sims