ADSM-L

Re: Management Class Retention Question

2004-12-08 09:44:53
Subject: Re: Management Class Retention Question
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:44:40 -0500
==> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:11:46 -0600, "Hart, Charles" <charles.hart AT
MEDTRONIC DOT COM> said:

> Thank you for the response.  Our TSM Env has been around longer than our
> Netbackup, I really don't want to mimic the NBU env (Would be going back in
> time) But at the same time retaining 180 Active / Deleted versions is a bit
> insane to manage.  I personally dislike the Grandfather / Father backup
> scheme,. progressive is the only way to go.

> Just want to be able to reduce the 180, use archiving for user archive req
> to meet regulatory needs, but still have a decent Point in time recovery.

Well, if you want point-in-time recovery back N days, and you want to do daily
backups, then you need at least N copies, plain and simple.

If you can tolerate decreasing precision as you go back further, I'd suggest
setting up several separate nodes for each physical machine.  This was alluded
to in the field guide examples you quoted.

- Allen S. Rout