ADSM-L

Re: Session data breakdown

2004-12-08 01:08:40
Subject: Re: Session data breakdown
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 00:08:29 -0600
I have an SPSS program that reads the TSM accounting data stream and
produces summary statistics. All the data is in there; all you need to
do is ask the right questions of whatever statistical analysis tools you
have available. Any general-purpose statistical package (SPSS, SAS...)
would work fine.

Though I usually run it monthly, I can run it at any time to see what's
going on, such as to find out why we suddenly have more data - a pass
through the accounting data can tell a lot about your nodes and what
they are doing, either in the long term or the short term.

The TSM accounting data stream is also very useful for long-term trends
analysis. It's compact enough that your favorite stat package can easily
swallow several years worth of data and come up with meaningful stats
showing your long term trends.