ADSM-L

Re: Backup stays "in progress" and never completes : ANR0480W error

2004-12-03 20:45:15
Subject: Re: Backup stays "in progress" and never completes : ANR0480W error
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 20:40:04 -0500
Chris - I would prefer to see an Activity Log message which matched the
client time message.  If both ends see the session drop, neither did it,
and neither gets a good indication why, then it would have to be due to
something in between: network gear, or TCP/IP protocol stack in the OS.
One thing to check is that your client TCPWindowsize is not at odds with
that in your OS.
You might also do 'ping -s -vR <ServerHostname>' in Solaris, or use
traceroute, to look for any network participant which is new or unexpected
in the transmission path which may be contributing to this.
Talk to your network people and see if anything changed a couple of weeks
ago - or if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.
Also check out ANR0480W causes in ADSM QuickFacts.
I would also look further in the Activity Log for contextual clues, as
well as in the Solaris /var/log/messages log.
Don't overlook the trivial: verify that the failing session is trying to
connect to the same system that you are with your 'dsmc i' (including
using the same type of network addressing and port number): it's all too
easy for an unobvious environment variable or configuration file to be
in play.

   Richard Sims