ADSM-L

Re: Slow Transfer rate with Linux Server

2004-12-02 18:34:12
Subject: Re: Slow Transfer rate with Linux Server
From: Jason Lee <english AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 15:34:03 -0800
Run, don't walk, to AS3.0. The memory manager in 2.1 is a piece of
garbage and caused us all kinds of issues (super low performance and
out and out crashes) We also got interrupt stack overflows left and
right. All of this was fixed up in AS3.0. Make sure you set your
vm.pagecache in /etc/sysctl.conf to something reasonable (I'm using
vm.pagecache = 1 5 15) or you'll end up with your dsmserv processes
residing mostly on disk as linux' overly aggressive file system caching
pushes all your processes out of memory. This makes your database run
*much* better. Not sure if your running qlogic fibre channel, but watch
out for the driver that ships with the AS3.0 install. I had major
performance issues with that through a brocade 12K switch. Getting the
IBM certified 6.60.60 (?) driver or qlogic's 7.X driver fixed that up.

Hope that helps - I spent the better part of a year banging my head
against AS2.1, you have been warned :-)

Jason

--
DreamWorks Animation SKG