ADSM-L

Re: Slow Transfer rate with Linux Server

2004-12-02 15:22:42
Subject: Re: Slow Transfer rate with Linux Server
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:22:32 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Mark D. Rodriguez
>I have a Linux based ITSM server running RHAS 2.1 with ITSM
>5.2.2 server code.  The ITSM server is an IBM X345 w/ 2 proc.,
>3GB memory, disk
>storage is on FASTt.   There are a mix of Windows, Novel, and Linux
>clients running ITSM 5.2.2.  This is a new environment and we
>are still working out the kinks.  The biggest issue is the
>Aggregate transfer rate on all of the machines is below
>400KB/Sec. on a 100Mb ethernet connection.  We have done FTP
>test that show us transfer rates more like what we would
>expect, i.e. approximately 10MB/sec.

Remember that aggragate rates are the result of dividing the total
amount of data transferred by the total amount of time from beginning of
the client session to the end. If the client spends a long time scanning
its directory structure before beginning the actual movement of data,
this will skew the aggregate rate results. If you have very long delays
between session start and actual data transfer, and it is a Windows
client, consider using the journaling service.

Also remember that, IIRC, Linux OSs are locked down to handling data in
4K blocks, which greatly restricts the amount data that can flow through
the bus.

What are the actual network data transfer rates (ANE4963I) for your
clients?

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627