ADSM-L

Re: Upgrading AIX from 4.3.3 ML 10 to AIX 5.2

2004-11-30 10:08:07
Subject: Re: Upgrading AIX from 4.3.3 ML 10 to AIX 5.2
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:08:13 -0500
You will need to uninstall the current TSM filesets. There are different
versions for AIX5 in the TSM filesets..plus if you're turning on 64-bit.
When we did this we did:

1. BA DB T=FULL
2. Halt TSM
3. Uninstall TSM (SMITTY)
4. We saved the files DSMSERV.DSK, DSMSERV.OPT, DEVCONFIG and VOLHISTORY
4.5 Renamed the DSMSERV.DSK file so the re-install doesn't touch the
database.
5. Upgrade AIX, Atape if applicable.
6. Install the 5.1.5.4 TSM with appropriate filesets for AIX5 and 64-bit.
7. Rename the DSMSERV.DSK file (from 4.5 above) back
8. Start TSM. I normally bring it up in the foreground for the first time so
I can watch for any errors.

If things don't work out, you can always RESTORE DB from the #1 tape above.

I would also recommend upgrading the firmware on the library/drives and any
tape drives (Atape if using IBM drives). If using non-IBM, you'll need to go
back in and redefine the TSM Devices (SMITTY DEVICES). Get a mapping of the
LBx and MTx before you start so you can make them match after the upgrade.

Bill Boyer
"I saw screens of green, red messages too, then came blue, shubidu
And i think to myself, what a wonderful world
" - ??