ADSM-L

Re: EMERGENCY: storage pool- ANR8218W problem

2004-11-26 17:31:45
Subject: Re: EMERGENCY: storage pool- ANR8218W problem
From: Alexander Lazarevich <alazarev AT ITG.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:31:34 -0600
Fixed, thanks for your help! I had not activated the policy yet.

Really, thanks for your help.

Alex

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Alexander Lazarevich wrote:

TSM 5.1.9.0 on windows 2K server.

All nodes are suddenly unable to backup due to this error (same on all
nodes):

ANR0406I Session 469 started for node MACHINE (Linux86) (Tcp/Ip
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(-20590)).
ANR8218W Session terminated when no data read on socket 2163788.
ANR0480W Session 469 for node MACHINE (Linux86) terminated - connection
with client severed.

The change which caused this, was I added a new primary storage pool, and
took the old one offline, which had failed. The new stg pool is there
though and I can't find anything wrong with it:

tsm: XXX>q stg
Storage      Device       Estimated    Pct    Pct  High  Low  Next Stora-
Pool Name    Class Name    Capacity   Util   Migr   Mig  Mig  ge Pool
                              (MB)                 Pct  Pct
-----------  ----------  ----------  -----  -----  ----  ---  -----------
ITG-BACKUP-  DISK         200,000.0    0.0    0.0    25    0  LTO2POOL
-SPOOL
LTO2POOL     LTOCLASS1   17,076,522   46.3   69.0    90   70
                                .4

But clients just won't backup - not a single one, all have the same
ANR8218W error. The error in the client dsmerror.log is:

1/26/2004 14:56:06 B/A Txn Producer thread, fatal error, signal 11

Can't find that error in the archives anywhere.

The server is available to the clients though, as I can TCP/IP to the
server just fine. I'm able to browse to it via smb, and I can ping it no
problem. I think the problem is due to my installing the storage pool
incorrectly. However, I tried following the manual absolutely. And I can't
see anything wrong with it.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? Hoping to get an answer very
quick. In the meantime I'll keep trying to find out what the problem is.
I'm here until I fix it.

I can't restore the old stg pool, as that died due to a failed disk (no
data on the spool at the time).

Thanks in advance,

Alex
  Alex Lazarevich | Systems Administrator | Imaging Technology Group
   Beckman Institute | University of Illinois | www.itg.uiuc.edu