ADSM-L

Re: TSM & SQL databases

2004-11-18 13:15:22
Subject: Re: TSM & SQL databases
From: David McClelland <David.McClelland AT REUTERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:14:43 +0000
Hi Ruth,

In response:

Q >>> Once the SQL backup is complete there is a need to delete this
backup file  from the server to ensure there is adequate database space
prior to the next scheduled database backup. I'm currently using a
different backup product that actually backs up the file and then
deletes the file from the server [...] We are looking at moving this
server to TSM, however from what I can see TSM does not do any type of
file deletion from the client.

A >>> Sounds like a prime candidate for a TSM Archive with the
'-deletefiles' option - once the file has been sent off to TSM storage,
it gets deleted from the client, thus freeing up space and meeting your
requirement. With a TSM 'archive' you can specify exactly how long, in
days, that you wish to retain this archived file for (in the archive
copygroup 'retver' setting).

Q >>> Is there anyone using TSM to backup SQL databases and if so how do
you delete the files from the client once they are backed up??

A >>> Yes, TDP for SQL is product you'll be looking at (or ITSM for
Databases or any number of nominal variations - we just call them TDP's,
for Tivoli Data Protection as they were once known). This backs up your
MSSQL database at an API level, directly from the database, without any
intermediate files/exports/dumps etc required, and therefore no need to
worry about deleting any files afterwards.

Hope that helps - there's lots in the docs, including a whole redbook
entitled "Using Tivoli Data Protection for Microsoft SQL Server.pdf"
which you will find by a quick search on
http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/Portals/Tivoli

Rgds,

David McClelland
Tivoli Storage Manager Certified Consultant
Operations Backup and Recovery Projects
Shared Infrastructure Development
Reuters
85 Fleet Street
London EC4P 4AJ

-Ruth Peters <Ruth.Peters AT WATKINS DOT COM>
11/18/2004 10:54 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
TSM & SQL databases

I have a windows 2000 server with a SQL database. The database is backed
up using SQL's enterprise utility. Once the SQL backup is complete there
is a need to delete this backup file  from the server to ensure there is
adequate database space prior to the next scheduled database backup. I'm
currently using a different backup product that actually backs up the
file and then deletes the file from the server.

We are looking at moving this server to TSM, however from what I can see
TSM does not do any type of file deletion from the client. The other
option would be to use TDP for SQL to manage the database backups,
however there is additional cost with that. Is there anyone using TSM to
backup SQL databases and if so how do you delete the files from the
client once they are backed up??

TSM SERVER
AIX 5.2.3
TSM Version 5.2.3

WINDOWS 2000 SERVER
TSM 5.2.0.1
Service Pack Level 4.0
SQL Server 2000 Standard edition
Service Pack 3 for SQL

Ruth Peters
Dasd Storage Administrator
Watkins Motor Lines, Inc. - IT/HDQ
Ruth.Peters AT Watkins DOT Com
(863)688.6662 x5452

******************NOTICE*******************
This e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the receipt and
use by the intended addressee(s) only and may contain privileged,
confidential, work-product and/or trade secret information of a
proprietary nature.  If you are not an intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized use, distribution
or re-transmission of this e-mail or any attachment(s) is strictly
prohibited and that all rights of the sender and/or intended recipients
are hereby reserved without prejudice thereto.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed.
If you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for
delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have
received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this email in error, please immediately notify the
sender.

Please note that this financial institution neither accepts nor
discloses confidential member account information via email. This
includes password related inquiries, financial transaction instructions
and address changes.

the views of Reuters Ltd.