ADSM-L

Re: linux restore problem

2004-11-18 10:46:31
Subject: Re: linux restore problem
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:46:18 -0500
>When I do a "dsmc restore /daten/*  -subdir=yes "  I get the following
>error:
>Restore function invoked.
>
>** Unsuccessful **
>ANS4000E Error processing '': file space does not exist

Looks like no one has had experience to share on that msg.  I'll tackle it in
the abstract...
Consider not performing restorals where you let the operating system expand the
wildcard: doing that causes what is CURRENTLY in the file system area govern the
operation, while you may want what USED to be there (a restoral, after all).
So I would put a backslash before the * or put the filespec in single quotes.

Do 'dsmc query filespace' and see what your filespace names really are.
Sometimes, file systems are mounted on mount points within previously mounted
file systems (e.g., /usr/local inside /usr/local) and this can make for
uncertainty when TSM tries to infer the filespace name (use braces where that
can be the case).

It would also be healthy to perform an inspection of the area, looking for wacky
filenames, by doing 'ls -alqR /daten': sometimes, filenames can end up with
binary garbage or backspaces in them due to odd cut-and-paste file naming.
We've even recently seen a case where a Unix filename contained a slash - very
confusing.

   Richard Sims