ADSM-L

Anybody with real world SATA diskpool experience

2004-11-12 16:56:14
Subject: Anybody with real world SATA diskpool experience
From: David Nicholson <David_R_Nicholson AT WHIRLPOOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:56:06 -0500
Hi List,

        I am building a new TSM server to consolidate my 2 existing
servers.

        The  2 existing servers are Pseries H50 and H70; AIX 5.1; TSM 5.2;
SSA disk and FC attached 3590 tape drives.  Each server has a 40GB TSM
database; about 100 GB of diskpool's and they backup roughly 1TB each per
night.  About 400 nodes registered per box.

        Plan on consolidating these onto a 520 AIX box...but I'm really
struggling with the disk.  I sure would love to load this thing up with a
couple TB of SATA drives for my diskpools, but I've read all the industry
concerns about failure rate and performance of SATA. Sooo, I was hoping
some folks out there are using SATA and could give me some real world
experiences.

        If you have alternate suggestions for inexpensive disk that works
nice for diskpool, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance!!!