ADSM-L

Inactive Files Rebound To New Managment Class?

2004-11-10 18:50:14
Subject: Inactive Files Rebound To New Managment Class?
From: Curtis Stewart <Curtis.Stewart AT LAWSON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:49:56 -0600
Everyone,

I've always read, and have seen from experience, that inactive versions of
a file are not rebound to a new managment class when you modify an include
in the client's configuration. Today, I saw some TSM behavior I can't
explain.

At the direction of our legal department, I need to retain all backups for
a single server for a month or so. So, I changed an include in one system
from this,

include *:\...\*

to this

include *:\...\*        nodelete

I understand the database and storage ramifications of setting this up,
and I thought I'd just clean up the mess later and satisfy the legal
department for now.

The nodelete management class is set to nolimit across the board. I ran an
incremental backup thinking this would rebind only the active and new or
changed files. However, when I looked in the GUI under restore, I saw that
ALL the files, inactive included show up as using the "nodelete"
management class. Have I merely been here too long today, or am I seeing
something new here?

TSM Server  5.2.2.3
TSM Client    5.2.2.0

Curtis