ADSM-L

Incr backup of old version

2004-11-09 11:30:04
Subject: Incr backup of old version
From: "Conko, Steven" <sconko AT ADT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:29:43 -0500
I am trying to figure out exactly what happened on one of our servers but Im
not sure how TSM is supposed to behave in this instance. Any insight is
greatly appreciated...

Scenario: TSM 5.1. Incremental backup. Versions Data Exists = 10. Versions
Data Deleted = 2. Retain Extra Versions = 45. Retain Only Version = 90.

A file is backed up on 23 December 2003. The file is not changed until 10
October 2004. On 5 November 2004 the file is copied over with a saved copy
of the file from 23 December 2003 retaining the 23 Dec timestamp.

Result: 2 days later (after 2 nightly incrementals) a query of the TSM
database shows only the version from 23 Dec... there is no active or
inactive record of the file changed on 10 Oct 04.

Question: Why doesnt the file version from 10 October 2004 show up in the
TSM database? If the file is somehow expired in TSM, why doesnt the output
in the schedlog show an expiration of the file from 10 Oct?

Thanks in advance
Steve