ADSM-L

Re: SQL differential backups

2004-11-02 20:06:46
Subject: Re: SQL differential backups
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 20:06:31 -0500
Moses,

Yes... you have the basic idea. I would recommend adding
a scheduled log backup to this as well. There is a section
in the Data Protection for SQL User's Guide, Chapter 1, called:
"Data Protection for SQL backup strategy considerations"
that explains the different backup strategies and when
to consider one type over another.

For example, this is the excerpt from the book:

"Full plus differential plus log backup
   This strategy allows for a faster restore scenario by reducing the
number of
   transaction logs that may need to be restored and applied. If, for
example,
   a full backup is done weekly, a differential nightly, and a log backup
every
   four hours, the restore would involve the full backup, a differential,
and at
   most five log backups. However, simply a full plus log backup scheme on
   the same cycle could require a full plus up to forty-one log backups to
be
   restored (six days times six log backups per day plus up to five
backups
   on the day the full backup was done)."

Look in the book for more details.

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 11/02/2004
11:30:49 AM: