ADSM-L

Re: ANE4018E : file name too long on AIX

2004-10-30 05:58:47
Subject: Re: ANE4018E : file name too long on AIX
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:43:26 -0500
I've seen this with both Solaris and Windows clients. In both cases it
was a directory. In both cases, the object was invalid and the file
system was slightly corrupted. In the Solaris case the directory name
contained the character / as a portion of a subdirectory level. That is,
they had a directory called "a/b" - it was NOT b as a subdirectory of a.
This had ITSM very confused, because it could see it, and parse it, but
"cd a" failed. Somehow this caused it to loop and report file name too
long. I figured out a way to outfox Veritas JFS and delete it. I don't
know what the owner of the Windows system did; perhaps they figured out
its short DOS 8.3 name and used that to delete it.

As usual, your backup program (whether it is ITSM or any other program)
is your most frequent file system and disk scanner. It runs daily, when
other forms of disk and file system diagnostics usually don't, so the
backup program will often be first to report a problem.