ADSM-L

Re: Tips on backing up over slow networks please

2004-10-27 12:35:54
Subject: Re: Tips on backing up over slow networks please
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:35:35 -0500
Turn compression on, not good for the server storage or client CPU
availability, but there is less to transmit.  But know your content (don't
compress images, etc).

Make sure you only backup what you need to!  Are there some files that
change daily in the user applications that really are temp files that are
re-created every time the app runs?

Can you expand your backup window?  Or backup some things daily, others on a
weekly schedule.

'Snap Shot' by application.  Not real snapshots but take the concept and run
with it.  Basically for an application, quiese(sp) it, copy the files to
backup to another directory (or gzip -c -9 it) and backup the copy.

If there are multiple machines on the other end of the link to backup, your
idea of doing backups with time delays will help each finish faster.  Even
think of putting a TSM server with disks only at the other end, and backup
to disk.  Then transmit all the data from server to server to get it on
remote tapes.

All these 'tips' could be applied to TSM and in non-TSM environments.