ADSM-L

Re: Open file and image backups on Linux

2004-10-26 13:30:20
Subject: Re: Open file and image backups on Linux
From: Sandra <sadi AT SUPER.NET DOT PK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:37:49 +0500
Dear Mark,
I am confused again.
See, I need to take backup (image or incremental) of entire system. IMAGETYPE is
one things, and running fsck later on after restore is another.

Now question is, BMR is actually something, that will backup and then restore
the
entire system in one go. Image is the solution for this probably.

Now, If i take Image backup and my machine crashes, all i need to do is to
install
my OS and BA client, and start the restore of the image of all the file systems
(including system file system). This way when i am going to restart after this,
will be on the same level as the image was, onlly thing that i would do is to
run
fsck if there is any problem.

IMPORTANT: when i will initiate the image backup, the only thing that would be
running would be those OS files and no application other than that. If there is
some system file that is open in for exampple in /usr, and there is no
application
that is using that file, then it will be backed up?? Am i right?

Kind Regards,
Sandra