ADSM-L

TDP for Oracle clarifications

2004-10-22 13:40:33
Subject: TDP for Oracle clarifications
From: Sandra <sadi AT SUPER.NET DOT PK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:34:01 +0500
Dear List,

I need to clarify some bits of information regarding backups/restore/maintenance
of Oracle backups.

1- when we use TDPOSYNC SYNCDB command, it actually inactivates the selected
backup and then TSM, according to the policy verdelete = 0, retonly=0, deletes
the files from the server storage. ????

2- As I was using "tdposync syncdb" command, it does not display all the backups
taken. For example, today i initiate a backup and use, tdposync, it displays the

information, and it i use this command tomorrow, it won't display any
information , and says no file matched bla bla.. ! ? Can you kindly clear this
confusion in my head??

3- My scenario is to take backup of one system database "A" and restore it on
other machine which is backup to this machine on daily basis and keep disaster
recovery tapes on offsite for worst case scenario. I have AUTOBACKUP = ON, which
also takes backup of control files. Question is,
            - If i m restoring my DB and Control files on backup machine, it
definitely does not have recovery catalog entries as on machine A, would I be
able to restore and start database, provided I have modified tdpo.opt file
(nodename, filespace) and database created on backup machine. That is, would
this work fine and serve my purpose of onsite successful recovery.

with best wishes and kind regards
Sandra